Bellaire Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad Engine #2 at Rock Fork Creek.

The BZ&C later became the Ohio River and Western, one of two narrow gauge railroads owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad. Its tracks never reached Cincinnati but it was one small " jewel " of a railroad. It ran through some of the most rugged terrain in Southeastern Ohio known as the 
"Switzerland of Ohio." The locomotive was built by Brooks Locomotive works in 1879, shop number 348. It was originally lettered for the B&SRy  Railway
(BZ&C) and was named the " Bealsville."  It was scrapped about 1900. The caboose looks to be a home made affair as it was the practice of the railroad to build its own small rolling stock. This railroad has become somewhat of a legend over the years and its artifacts and photos are much sought after.

Gasoline Alley | Toy Collectibles | Vintage Bikes | Railroading | Firefighting | History Lane | Links | Home

2007 All content is property of ThePumpman.com unless stated otherwise. Please ask permission to use.